How do you take your candids?

da_count

V.I.P
Access
Reaction score
Was thinking of ways to have a camera in my shoe or something like that since pointing your phone at someone can be a bit sus. Taking pics of my wife's mom might have serious consequences so I try to use an app that records while your screen is off. Let me know your methods if you don't mind me asking!

Reactions: footjoyboy

footjoyboy

Legend
V.I.P
Access
Reaction score
There are sunglasses, and/or glasses, you can buy with a fisheye camera between the eyes.

da_count

V.I.P
Access
Reaction score
There are sunglasses, and/or glasses, you can buy with a fisheye camera between the eyes.
Good suggestion sir. I might have to buy a pair soon lol. I just wish the camera quality on those devices is as good as a camera phone. I really like the angles some of these guys on here are able to get of random women on the train and such.

Candidcrow

Access
Reaction score
I film with nothing but my phone in my hand.

It’s really about acting natural. Subjects will notice the shooter first, not the device first. The shooter is who will set off alarm bells not the device. It’s once the shooter gets noticed that they start noticing the device you’re trying to shoot with.

Heres a short clip of me holding my phone in my hand standing right next to the subject facing me while I start by capping her orange painted toes poking out her sandals then up for a faceshot then rotate the phone to get boob, hip and crotch shots (her boobs and hips were what got my attention more so lol). Very little motion involved and o had the phones back camera filming and she didn’t notice nor react.

But what you can do if that’s a bit too much to start is to put your phone (I’m assuming you’re using a phone) in a side pocket of a bag (for example) and then place the bag down by the subjects feet to cap.

Down and dirty is just starting recording right before you lower the bag down to foot level. But what would significantly help is if you have a smart watch or another phone and remote link it to your shooting device. Then you can actually see what the recording device is aimed at, make adjustments by nudging the bag a bit, then remote start and stop recording . This method will allow you to get the closeup foot shot and depending on how you angle the bag and pocket you could get that fisheye upward tilting caps (which I’m guessing is what you’re talking about).

As far as hiding the phone screen? Yes you can use a BVR app (it’s an app that allows you to secretly record while it hides the screen or replaces it with another screen) but what those apps capture isn’t as good as the native cam app. So instead think about using a phone wallet case which will cover the screen.

PS: I use a phone wallet case and shoot with the native iPhone cam app.

Last edited:

Candidcrow

Access
Reaction score
That's a great idea, I'll definitely get a wallet case. Thanks for the input
Anytime. Just be aware there are different wallet cases. Some better (much better) than others. I use either the Otterbox Strada wallet case or the Torro Leather Bumper case. This is because both do a great job of blocking light leak out the sides. The cheap wallet cases you get off Amazon from no name brands don’t do that as well.

Reactions: da_count

AnnLL83

Famous
V.I.P
Foot Model Verified
Access
Reaction score
A few times I caught someone taking pictures of my feet
You can see the uncertain movements and the unnatural angle of the phone
I ofyen reacted quickly by hiding my feet
However, I sometimes started playing with my shoes, showing my soles or toes
Once, I and my friends had a lot of fun from a guy who took photos of our feet

Feet2345

Famous
V.I.P
Access
Reaction score
I film with nothing but my phone in my hand.

It’s really about acting natural. Subjects will notice the shooter first, not the device first. The shooter is who will set off alarm bells not the device. It’s once the shooter gets noticed that they start noticing the device you’re trying to shoot with.

Heres a short clip of me holding my phone in my hand standing right next to the subject facing me while I start by capping her orange painted toes poking out her sandals then up for a faceshot then rotate the phone to get boob, hip and crotch shots (her boobs and hips were what got my attention more so lol). Very little motion involved and o had the phones back camera filming and she didn’t notice nor react.

View attachment 579411

But what you can do if that’s a bit too much to start is to put your phone (I’m assuming you’re using a phone) in a side pocket of a bag (for example) and then place the bag down by the subjects feet to cap.

Down and dirty is just starting recording right before you lower the bag down to foot level. But what would significantly help is if you have a smart watch or another phone and remote link it to your shooting device. Then you can actually see what the recording device is aimed at, make adjustments by nudging the bag a bit, then remote start and stop recording . This method will allow you to get the closeup foot shot and depending on how you angle the bag and pocket you could get that fisheye upward tilting caps (which I’m guessing is what you’re talking about).

As far as hiding the phone screen? Yes you can use a BVR app (it’s an app that allows you to secretly record while it hides the screen or replaces it with another screen) but what those apps capture isn’t as good as the native cam app. So instead think about using a phone wallet case which will cover the screen.

PS: I use a phone wallet case and shoot with the native iPhone cam app.
Grateful shot hot subject sexy feet

Reactions: Candidcrow

Sonya_Shinhouin

Access
Reaction score
Morally, I feel you should ask them/ strike up a convo and lead into a harmless reason your filming vs hiding the cam/ using means to hid the fact your filming..

That said, would it not make more sense to use something already found at that level? People shuffle on the spot all the time when standing/ walking/ talking, so a cam on the foot would be the least conspicuous movement, provided the cam itself is not obvious.
You can buy small wireless cameras online for home (think babysitter cams , like the ones hidden in a teddy bear eye or such) and most just need to be mounted into/ on something and wirelessly send the data to a storage system. Depending on the size and quality, im sure one would fit into, say, the holes in crocs....and you hide it in plain sight by adorning your crocs in other stuff anyway. They make "jewelry"/ "pins" for crocs now anyway, so it seems like a great way to do this imo...

Candidcrow

Access
Reaction score
Morally, I feel you should ask them/ strike up a convo and lead into a harmless reason your filming vs hiding the cam/ using means to hid the fact your filming..

That said, would it not make more sense to use something already found at that level? People shuffle on the spot all the time when standing/ walking/ talking, so a cam on the foot would be the least conspicuous movement, provided the cam itself is not obvious.
You can buy small wireless cameras online for home (think babysitter cams , like the ones hidden in a teddy bear eye or such) and most just need to be mounted into/ on something and wirelessly send the data to a storage system. Depending on the size and quality, im sure one would fit into, say, the holes in crocs....and you hide it in plain sight by adorning your crocs in other stuff anyway. They make "jewelry"/ "pins" for crocs now anyway, so it seems like a great way to do this imo...
Main problem with those little cams (beyond trying to somehow get it attached to your shoe without it being noticed or falling off as you move around or walk, etc) is the quality of what shoot is shite (just no way around it).

An iPhone 13 Pro Max, for example, can shoot in 4k 60fps in high dynamic range and top tier near professional quality brilliance as well as handle low light conditions (which a lot of indoor shooting down by feet level especially in say crowded trains) exceptionally well.

With one of those cams you’re talking about it’ll be a gainy mess that MAY hit 1080p (more often 720p), MAY get 30fps (likely 15fps) and that definitely won’t have built in stabilization (which means the video recorded will be jumping all over the place as you try to fidget your shoe cam around).

Additionally those little cams don’t have a lot of memory and can malfunction. So you would be limited in what and how long over time you can cap and might not end up capping anything.

Also if anyone catches you with a shoe cam they will not be thinking you’re shooting feet and instead think you are trying to upskirt. Upskirting is pretty much illegal in every country and can end up with the police being called. Even if they find nothing illegal it’s a hassle that’s not worth it.

We have discussions on hardware, setups and techniques all the time in the candid board I come from. Lots of top tier shooters and we all agree that those spy cams are a waste and a no go.

Last edited:

SoleMann

Access
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Also if anyone catches you with a shoe cam they will not be thinking you’re shooting feet and instead think you are trying to upskirt. Upskirting is pretty much illegal in every country and can end up with the police being called. Even if they find nothing illegal it’s a hassle that’s not worth it.

Upskirting is what came to mind when I read that part too. Not only that, but a shoe cam would be way awkward to use and point in the right direction.

I usually get my candids while attending events. I just put a standard photographers camera around my neck and wander the event taking pics like normal as my cover. When I come across a nice pair of feet, I'll turn away and zoom it in approximately the right distance, then hold the camera hanging from my neck on the strap, turn back around, gauge the right angle and hit record. Then I just stand there causally looking around as if I'm just taking a break from shooting images of the event. This works really well at outdoor events like fairs and parades where no one really notices you with all the commotion going on. Outdoor summer concerts could work well too.

And yes, it did take some practice with getting the angle right while recording so your not just getting video of the grass... lol

Reactions: jplath17

SoleMann

Access
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
I keep all those images/videos on a backup drive. If I get the chance this weekend, I'll go through it to see what I can post here ;)

Reactions: jplath17

Candidcrow

Access
Reaction score
Upskirting is what came to mind when I read that part too. Not only that, but a shoe cam would be way awkward to use and point in the right direction.

I usually get my candids while attending events. I just put a standard photographers camera around my neck and wander the event taking pics like normal as my cover. When I come across a nice pair of feet, I'll turn away and zoom it in approximately the right distance, then hold the camera hanging from my neck on the strap, turn back around, gauge the right angle and hit record. Then I just stand there causally looking around as if I'm just taking a break from shooting images of the event. This works really well at outdoor events like fairs and parades where no one really notices you with all the commotion going on. Outdoor summer concerts could work well too.

And yes, it did take some practice with getting the angle right while recording so your not just getting video of the grass... lol
That’s the old school method of candid shooting. Guys used to do this all the time with film cameras. Definitely proven to work if you know how to work it.

SoleMann

Access
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
That’s the old school method of candid shooting. Guys used to do this all the time with film cameras. Definitely proven to work if you know how to work it.

Well... I don't know about film, I've only been doing this since I got my first digital ;)

SoleMann

Access
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com