Brainstorming for our own File-Hosting

Luzik

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

As you know, our Mega account has unfortunately been closed.

You voted in the thread Issue with our Mega account for us to set up our own file hosting service.

For this, I would like us to share our ideas and opinions on these topics:
- Choice of file sharing software (because developing one myself would take too much time. Lol.)
- Choice of the domain name

For the software, I quickly tried Nextcloud. It seems to meet our needs. Do you have any feedback on this one, or any other ideas?

For the domain name, we have the choice to use either a subdomain of footfetishforum.com, or to create a dedicated domain name. Here are some ideas:
Code:
feetshare.cloud
feetfiles.cloud
cloudfeet.media
feetway.org
footfetishfile.com
footfetishost.com
footfetishcloud.com
footfetishoster.com
Please note that the most relevant TLDs (Top-Level Domains) are:
.com .cloud .share .net .org .media .gallery .foot .link .community .club *a non-exhaustive list

Or a subdomain like:
Code:
cloud.footfetishforum.com
files.footfetishforum.com

I would appreciate your sharing of opinions in order for us to make the best choice that suits us.

Thank you all, you are amazing!

Reactions: wop2

lilifeet

Access
Reaction score
Personally I think that building on the existing domain is the way to go by using a subdomain. This way it won't be too confusing for new users and it would grow the traffic for the existing domain.

I like files.footfetishforum.com since the name is a accurate representation of what you can find there.

I don't comprehend fully the past situation or the future one, on how you would like people to use it. Is it only for members of the forum? Or will this be a public file hosting?

Anyway I would love to be involved in the brainstorming sessions.

Reactions: jplath17 and Luzik

Luzik

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Personally I think that building on the existing domain is the way to go by using a subdomain. This way it won't be too confusing for new users and it would grow the traffic for the existing domain.

I like files.footfetishforum.com since the name is a accurate representation of what you can find there.

I don't comprehend fully the past situation or the future one, on how you would like people to use it. Is it only for members of the forum? Or will this be a public file hosting?

Anyway I would love to be involved in the brainstorming sessions.
Ok for using a subdomain, it seems like a good idea and aligns well with this new file hosting service.
As for the subdomain name, we'll must agree between "files" or "cloud".

The backstory is that we were using Mega's service for our sharing, but Mega decided to close our account for a rather vague reason. They must not be fans of feet...

To address this situation, we've opted to launch our own file hosting service, exclusively for forum members. This way, we'll have control over our data, eliminating the risk of loss or censorship.

If you have any ideas, suggestions, or questions about this new service, feel free to share! (y)

Luzik

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I have been working a lot these last days on our File Hosting service, and I'm happy, it's progressing very well.
But I still don't know if the launch can be done before 2024, there are still a lot of configurations left to do.

Here is a preview of the logo, what do you think? It's not too late to change it yet if needed.
Files by FootFetishForum.png

Reactions: FFLB10 and lilifeet

Smoothsoles

Legend
Access
Reaction score
I have been working a lot these last days on our File Hosting service, and I'm happy, it's progressing very well.
But I still don't know if the launch can be done before 2024, there are still a lot of configurations left to do.

Here is a preview of the logo, what do you think? It's not too late to change it yet if needed.
View attachment 558880
Looks great 👍

Reactions: Luzik

nire5

Reaction score
I have some experience with hosting, or finding a reliable host/cloud provider, assembling a reliable database, etc..

If you are going to use a commercial or enterprise host, make sure that you really analyze what their terms of service are. I consider this kind of content harmless, but others dont. And they don't need to even give you a heads up.

I'm fairly picky, so dont mind me. but for ease of use, an API for uploading is critical, I think that is mostly standard these days.

With domains, tld, subdomains, the simpler the better, it's going to be something that I am constantly typing, shortening, etc. Not a fan of stuff like .cloud .media, its too much haha. I actually thinks files.footfetishforum.com is perfect. it's all f's, f dot f f f. thats how I think about these things.

mega sucks, they can go to heck. good luck with this stuff.

Reactions: Luzik

Luzik

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I have some experience with hosting, or finding a reliable host/cloud provider, assembling a reliable database, etc..

If you are going to use a commercial or enterprise host, make sure that you really analyze what their terms of service are. I consider this kind of content harmless, but others dont. And they don't need to even give you a heads up.

I'm fairly picky, so dont mind me. but for ease of use, an API for uploading is critical, I think that is mostly standard these days.

With domains, tld, subdomains, the simpler the better, it's going to be something that I am constantly typing, shortening, etc. Not a fan of stuff like .cloud .media, its too much haha. I actually thinks files.footfetishforum.com is perfect. it's all f's, f dot f f f. thats how I think about these things.

mega sucks, they can go to heck. good luck with this stuff.
Thank you for your feedback @nire5,

I have chosen the same provider as the one hosting analrace.com. I have never had any problems with them.
In their terms of use, they give time to explain if there is ever a problem. They don't just cut the service like that, which is reassuring.

I have seen that there are providers specializing in +18 content, but the prices are exorbitant.
With the choice I made, we are already paying 200% more than Mega's rate.

We have chosen Nextcloud, it is feature-rich and compatible with all system, with API.

About the domain, you're right, it seems perfect. That's the choice we made (y)

Thank you again 😊

Last edited:

Luzik

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The launch is postponed until the end of the month, between the 26th and the 31st, if everything goes well.
We are waiting for an update that will fix a rather important bug before we can officially launch it.
Thank you for your patience.

Luzik

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Nextcloud update is delayed, it is scheduled for Tuesday, the 30th.
So, maybe we will launch the service starting on February 1st.

Luzik

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Nextcloud update was not released on Tuesday 30th and has been rescheduled again. It should be available today.
Maybe we will finally be able to launch the service during this weekend!